You’re cutting up some fruit for yourself and you see your dog begging for a bite…but is it good for them?
Can Dogs Have Apples?
- Yes! Dogs can eat apples because they are an excellent source of vitamins, like A and C. Apples are high in fiber and they are low in protein, fat, and calories. Apple is found in many dog treats, but an easy treat is to slice up an apple and freeze them! This is a healthy way to keep your dog cool in the summer! (akc.org)
- Something to keep in mind before feeding your dog any human food is to consult your vet. Your vet knows your dog’s individual needs and will let you know if they can eat apples, or any fruit.
- Also, only feed apples with the skin on in moderate amounts. The skin is where all the antioxidants and fiber are. If they eat too much, it could cause indigestion. So if your dog has a sensitive stomach, consider not feeding them human food, or just peel the apple. Also do not feed them the seeds. The seeds contain a small amount of cyanide. It’s a low level, so it won’t cause a serious injury, but just to be on the safe side, remove all apple seeds before giving them to your dog. (pawlicy.com)
Can Dogs Have Grapes?
- NO. Dogs should never, ever eat grapes (or raisins). Even a single grape can be fatal to a dog. Grapes are highly toxic to dogs and can lead to sudden kidney failure. Research has not determined exactly what substance in the grape causes this reaction in dogs.
- If your dog has eaten a grape, immediately go to your veterinarian. (akc.org)
Can Dogs Have Bananas?
- Yes, dogs can eat bananas! These are a popular fruit snack choice for many dog parents because they are full of nutrients, like vitamin B, potassium, magnesium, and fiber. They are also a good source of energy! You can also feed your pup banana chips, as long as they are dehydrated with only safe oils, like coconut oil.
- Make sure to peel the banana and slice into small pieces. While they are mushy, it can still be a choking hazard if you feed them a whole banana at once. (firstvet.com)
Can Dogs Have Blueberries?
- Yes, dogs can eat blueberries! Similar to bananas, they are a favorite fruit among dog parents because they are a superfood packed with antioxidants and fiber, which aids in digestion. Frozen blueberries are a fun alternative to training treats that are store bought! (akc.org)
Can Dogs Have Mango?
- Yes, your dog can eat mangoes, but make sure to always peel the fruit and remove the pit so your dog doesn’t choke. The skin can be difficult to digest. (citizencanine.net & akc.org)
- Like other fruits, mango is full of vitamins and very nutritious for your dog. Unlike other store-bought treats, there are no added chemicals or preservatives, so you know exactly what your dog is consuming!
Always consult your veterinarian before feeding your dog any human food to make sure it is okay for your pet’s individual needs. Also, everything in moderation– fruit contains natural sugars, which can cause an upset stomach!